Inter close in on Gabriel Barbosa and Joao Mario signings

The Nerazzurri have confirmed on Twitter that they are set to land the star duo as Frank de Boer sets about strengthening his squad before the transfer window closes

Inter have confirmed they are set to seal the double signing of Gabriel Barbosa and Joao Mario.

The Serie A side announced on Friday that Santos and Brazil striker Gabriel – known as ‘Gabigol’ – had touched down in Milan, with Joao Mario also en route.

Inter wrote on Twitter: “Gabigol has landed in Milan. Joao Mario is on his way too.”

They also sent a follow-up video which showed Gabriel arriving at the airport to huge fanfare.

Ecco @gabigol al momento dello sbarco a Malpensa! #ForzaInter #FCIM pic.twitter.com/p70Z5VZMKH
— F.C. Internazionale (@Inter) August 26, 2016

Goal reported on earlier on Friday that the two transfers will cost Inter in excess of €75 million.

Sporting midfielder Joao Mario, 23, played in all seven games as Portugal secured Euro 2016 glory last month.

READ MORE  | Birsa double downs Inter

Gabriel has also enjoyed an impressive close-season, with the 19-year-old playing six times as Brazil won the gold medal at their home Olympic Games. 

Speaking at the Europa League draw, Inter vice-president Javier Zanetti said the club are expecting a busy week in the transfer market.

He said: “There will be news in this last week and we will see what happens. Whoever comes will be a reinforcement and will be welcome.”

De Boer: Inter have a lot of work to do

The former Ajax man was given an indication of the tough task he has ahead in a comprehensive defeat for the Nerazzurri, and is hoping for better in the coming weeks

Frank de Boer said Inter must improve after his new side were beaten 2-0 at Chievo in their opening Serie A match on Sunday.

The former Ajax coach has only been in charge at San Siro for two weeks, and he could not inspire his players to victory in their first game of the campaign following Valter Birsa’s brace.

And, speaking after the defeat, De Boer admitted he and his team have work to do in order to make this season a success.

“We are very disappointed by the result and have a lot of work to do,” he told Mediaset Premium.

“I am confident we will improve, both in terms of the football and physically. Next week we will to try to do better.”

De Boer also added that he had tailored his line-up with Inter’s pre-season struggles in mind.
READ MORE  | Birsa double downs Inter

“I chose this system because we are not in the best shape,” he continued.

“We played three at the back based on our condition and the way Chievo play.

“We conceded a goal in the most difficult moments, the game went because we are not at our best physically. When you concede that type of goal, it’s difficult, but this is football.

“I think fitness levels influenced our tempo and that is why I decided to play with three.

“We had only one friendly match together, so I haven’t had much time to improve these aspects.”

Angry Handanovic critical of Inter

The shot-stopper has urged his side to work hard to react to their opening day defeat and has complained about a tough pre-season schedule

Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic said he is angry with a lot of things after their surprising 2-0 loss to Chievo in the opening Serie A match of the season.

Life under new coach Frank de Boer got off to a disappointing start as Inter slumped to defeat at Chievo on Sunday.

Valter Birsa scored twice in the second half to see off Inter, who parted ways with coach Roberto Mancini two weeks out from the season on the back of heavy pre-season defeats to Tottenham (6-1), Bayern Munich (4-1) and Paris Saint-Germain (3-1).

“What am I angry about? A lot of things,” Handanovic told Mediaset Premium. “There’s not much to talk about today, we have to just turn the page and think about how we can work better.

“I could point to thousands of excuses but we all just need to work hard to find a way to react.
READ MORE  | Birsa double downs Inter

“It’s difficult to put your finger on what was missing this evening. Was our fitness below peak condition? We’re not at 100 per cent we’ve done a lot of travelling and had to do our preparations in this manner. I don’t think that’s the fault of a coach.”

Defender Danilo D’Ambrosio was also scathing of Inter, warning fans to lower their expectations.

“I have to admit we must take heed of the Juventus mentality, as last season they managed to recover after a very difficult start,” D’Ambrosio added via Sky Sport Italia.

“People have to realise this is no longer the Inter that won the treble and we don’t have the kind of individual talent that allows us to play as individuals. We need to band together as a team and work hard with humility.”

Chievo 2-0 Inter: Birsa double downs visitors

The hosts enjoyed a superb victory as the Slovenian scored two excellent goals, with the visitors wasting a number of gilt-edged chances on Sunday evening in Verona

Inter made a poor start to life under Frank de Boer as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat at Chievo in their Serie A opener courtesy of Valter Birsa’s second-half double. 

The former Ajax boss, appointed following Roberto Mancini’s departure earlier this month, only took charge of one friendly in pre-season, and his side looked like one who had endured a chaotic summer with a sub-standard performance.

Birsa’s cool strike opened the scoring – the first goal Inter have conceded on the opening weekend of a league campaign since Luis Muriel netted for Lecce in 2011 – and the same man added a second from distance with nine minutes remaining.

The Milan club started last season winning five straight matches by a one-goal margin, including this fixture, but struggled to find consistency thereon in and missed out on a Champions League place.

And, despite De Boer’s arrival, a star-studded lineup could not break down Chievo’s resolute defence on another agonising evening for Inter.

Mauro Icardi had been the match-winner for Mancini in both clashes against this opposition last term, but he was starved of service in a rugged encounter.

It took less than five minutes for the game’s first flashpoint as Andrea Ranocchia’s loose control led him to crashing into a challenge on Riccardo Meggiorini in the area. Chievo players surrounded referee Massimiliano Irrati while their team-mate writhed on the ground, but no penalty award was forthcoming.

That set the tone for a feisty opening period, with Eder eventually inspiring some goal-mouth action when Stefano Sorrentino saved his powerful low shot.
 
The goalkeeper struggled to clear the subsequent corner, but both Danilo D’Ambrosio and Ranocchia had rebounding efforts blocked.
 
Despite the array of creative talent on display, though, including Inter debutants Antonio Candreva and Ever Banega, both sides struggled to forge opportunities in a drab first half.
 
The hosts had their first sight of goal shortly before the break, but Meggiorini dragged wide of the near post after running clear from Lucas Castro’s throughball.

However, within four minutes of the restart, Chievo struck gold. A neat passing move set Fabrizio Cacciatore away to tee up Birsa, who beat D’Ambrosio and Rannochia before firing in a low finish.

Inter struggled to muster a response, with Miranda nodding a corner over the bar from their only notable chance, and the home side instead doubled their advantage to seal victory.

Birsa again grasped an opportunity to shoot, smashing a low effort from 20 yards into the bottom corner that left Samir Handanovic rooted to the spot and De Boer beaten in his first game.

LIVE: Chievo vs Inter

The hosts enjoyed a superb victory as the Slovenian scored two excellent goals, with the visitors wasting a number of gilt-edged chances on Sunday evening in Verona

Inter made a poor start to life under Frank de Boer as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat at Chievo in their Serie A opener courtesy of Valter Birsa’s second-half double. 

The former Ajax boss, appointed following Roberto Mancini’s departure earlier this month, only took charge of one friendly in pre-season, and his side looked like one who had endured a chaotic summer with a sub-standard performance.

Birsa’s cool strike opened the scoring – the first goal Inter have conceded on the opening weekend of a league campaign since Luis Muriel netted for Lecce in 2011 – and the same man added a second from distance with nine minutes remaining.

The Milan club started last season winning five straight matches by a one-goal margin, including this fixture, but struggled to find consistency thereon in and missed out on a Champions League place.

And, despite De Boer’s arrival, a star-studded lineup could not break down Chievo’s resolute defence on another agonising evening for Inter.

Mauro Icardi had been the match-winner for Mancini in both clashes against this opposition last term, but he was starved of service in a rugged encounter.

It took less than five minutes for the game’s first flashpoint as Andrea Ranocchia’s loose control led him to crashing into a challenge on Riccardo Meggiorini in the area. Chievo players surrounded referee Massimiliano Irrati while their team-mate writhed on the ground, but no penalty award was forthcoming.

That set the tone for a feisty opening period, with Eder eventually inspiring some goal-mouth action when Stefano Sorrentino saved his powerful low shot.
 
The goalkeeper struggled to clear the subsequent corner, but both Danilo D’Ambrosio and Ranocchia had rebounding efforts blocked.
 
Despite the array of creative talent on display, though, including Inter debutants Antonio Candreva and Ever Banega, both sides struggled to forge opportunities in a drab first half.
 
The hosts had their first sight of goal shortly before the break, but Meggiorini dragged wide of the near post after running clear from Lucas Castro’s throughball.

However, within four minutes of the restart, Chievo struck gold. A neat passing move set Fabrizio Cacciatore away to tee up Birsa, who beat D’Ambrosio and Rannochia before firing in a low finish.

Inter struggled to muster a response, with Miranda nodding a corner over the bar from their only notable chance, and the home side instead doubled their advantage to seal victory.

Birsa again grasped an opportunity to shoot, smashing a low effort from 20 yards into the bottom corner that left Samir Handanovic rooted to the spot and De Boer beaten in his first game.

Icardi looking forward to 'many years' at Inter

The captain of the San Siro outfit has suggested that he is about to sign a new deal with the club, despite interest from Arsenal and Chelsea

Despite reported interest from a host of clubs throughout Europe, Mauro Icardi has appeared to pledge his future to Inter.

Inter’s captain has been heavily linked with a move away from San Siro in this transfer window, with Arsenal, Chelsea and Napoli reportedly keen to acquire the striker’s services.

However, the 23-year-old – who netted 16 Serie A goals last term – has now moved to put those rumours to rest, using his official Instagram account to show his commitment to Inter as Frank de Boer’s men prepare to face Chievo in their opening game of the new campaign on Sunday.

The Argentina international said: “The start of a new season, with new goals but always with the same love for three years for this shirt… And many others…”

 

A photo posted by Mauro Icardi (@mauroicardi) on Aug 21, 2016 at 3:41am PDT

Icardi, who is reportedly close to agreeing a new deal with Inter, arrived from Sampdoria in 2013 and has scored 52 goals from 105 appearances for the club in all competitions.

De Boer: Sissoko and Joao Mario interesting players for Inter

The Dutchman has confirmed that he is keeping a close eye on the transfer market and is excited for the competitive action to finally start

Frank de Boer has confirmed Inter are interested in signing Newcastle United midfielder Moussa Sissoko and Sporting Lisbon’s Joao Mario.

The Serie A side have long been linked with a move for Portugal midfielder Joao Mario and recent reports suggested they are keen to bring in France international Sissoko as well.

De Boer has now acknowledged the two are indeed options for Inter as he looks to strengthen the midfield.

“We need a strong team and perhaps it’s true that our midfield is not complete yet at the moment,” De Boer said at a news conference.

“We will have to keep a close eye on what happens on the transfer market. Joao Mario and Sissoko are interesting players.”

Inter are allegedly ready to cash in on Marcelo Brozovic if Joao Mario comes in, but De Boer hopes the Croatia international will stay put regardless of any potential additions.

“Brozovic and Joao Mario are both excellent players and it would be great to have them both,” De Boer added.
READ MORE  | How will each Serie A side line up?

“We will have to wait and see what happens in the next few days regarding Joao Mario.”

Inter begin their Serie A campaign with an away game against Chievo on Sunday and De Boer is brimming with confidence heading into the encounter.

“I want to win every game. That’s what we’ll set out to do and see where it takes us,” he continued.

“We want to dominate and create lots of chances, I always expect that of my teams.

“We’re excited to finally start. Now it’s for real and I’m very confident about the season ahead.”

Allegri warns Juventus to expect 'difficult' four-team Scudetto race

The Bianconeri are gunning for a sixth Scudetto in a row as they open their campaign against Fiorentina, but their coach believes Napoli, Roma and Inter can compete

Massimiliano Allegri urged Juventus not to believe they are in for an easy route to Serie A glory and thinks four teams will challenge for this season’s Scudetto.

Juve open their season at home to Fiorentina on Saturday as hot favourites to win the title for a sixth consecutive season.

Despite selling Paul Pogba in a world-record transfer to Manchester United, Allegri’s men have added five impressive names in Dani Alves, Mehdi Benatia, Gonzalo Higuain, Marko Pjaca and Miralem Pjanic.

But Allegri does not think that transfer business makes Juve overwhelming frontrunners and expects Napoli, Roma and Inter – although not his former club AC Milan – to contest the title.

He said: “We know that our big rivalries this season will be with Inter, Napoli and Roma. They will all be in the Scudetto fight.

“The first overall objective is to get to March and be fighting for three competitions, to be fighting in the league, the last 16 of the Champions League and the Coppa Italia. From then on we’ll play our season.

“It’s definitely not easy, because in every year that passes – Juventus have won the Scudetto for five in a row – the level of difficulty gets higher and higher. The other teams become more aggressive, and as we saw at the beginning of last year, subconsciously there’s a drop-off.
READ MORE  | Allegri jokes about Pogba sale

“Nothing is easy – especially in football. We know that winning the title is going to be very difficult.

“You can’t necessarily say that because Juventus have made some good signings – Higuain, Pjanic, Benatia, Pjaca, Dani Alves – that it’s a mathematical equation and we should win the Scudetto.

“To win the Scudetto you have to earn it on the pitch, like going forward in the Champions League. We’ll take it a step at a time, which is the way it should be.”

While not having the profile of Alves, Benatia, Higuain and Pjanic, Allegri tipped Pjaca – the 21-year-old winger brought in from Dinamo Zagreb – to be one of the stars of the Italian season.

He added: “Marko Pjaca is very good and interesting. He is talented – I think he could be the revelation of the season because he has physical and technical quality.

“At the moment, I think he is more suited to playing in a wider role but it depends on the system that we use as he is also effective as one of the two forwards.”

Candreva reveals title ambitions with Inter

The new Nerazzurri winger is full of ambition following his transfer to San Siro and wants to win titles with his new club, while recognising they must topple Juventus

Antonio Candreva is determined to win silverware with Inter following his transfer from Lazio.

The Italy international was initially linked with a move to Napoli, but eventually opted to join Inter instead and is looking forward to a new chapter in his career.

“I joined Inter to win. That is what Inter are used to doing,” said Candreva.

“Inter were chasing after me and I am proud to have joined this club. Negotiations were long and hard and at some point I feared the deal would collapse. I did not reject Napoli. I don’t know whether there were talks between both clubs.
READ MORE  | How will each Serie A side line up?

“Inter wanted me right from the start and I am proud to be here.

“I have reached the right age to aim for success. Juventus have been the team to beat in recent years, but we want to improve on last season and have a good campaign.

“We have got a lot of quality players and we can achieve big things together.”

The 29-year-old signed a four-year deal with Inter.